Short (Academic) Biography
I completed my undergraduate of Engineering in Mathematics and master's in Applied Mathematics at Universidad de Chile, 2012-2018, graduating with a first class Distinction in both of my titles. I specialised in Probability and its application to other problems, in particular population genetics. I have also been interested in problems related to computer science.
In July 2016 I started working with Jorge Pérez in my first research problem. It was a problem focused on modeling and understanding communications interfaces in computer science. From this work came my first paper A Formal Framework for Comparing Linked Data Fragments, that was presented in the ISWC 2017 and won the Best Research paper award.
In October 2016 I started my master thesis with Servet Martínez. The goal was to use probabilistic techniques to understand recombination in population dynamics in continuous time.I presented my thesis and graduated in January 2018, but continued working in this problem until September 2018.
In September 2018 I moved to Oxford to start my DPhil in Statistics (although I do not know any statistics).
- Olaf Hartig, Ian Letter, Jorge Pérez, 2017, A Formal Framework for Comparing Linked Data Fragments, International Semantic Web Conference 2017, original draft.
- Ian Letter, Servet Martínez, 2018, A probabilistic analysis of a continuous-time evolution in recombination, arXiv, submitted.
TeachingUniversidad de Chile, class tutor:
- Multivariate Calculus (2-2013, 1-2014, 2-2016).
- Ordinary differential equations (1-2014).
- Probability and Statistics (1-2015, 2-2017, 1-2018).
- Discrete Mathematics (1-2015, 2-2015, 2-2017).
- Probability for Mathematicians (1-2016, 1-2017).
- Markov processes (1-2016).
- Computation theory (2-2016).
- Evolution models (1-2017).
- Stochastic Calculus (2-2017).
- Stochastic Models for Engineering Systems (2-2017).
- General topology (1-2018).
- Applied Probability (T.A.: HT-2019, HT-2020, tutor: HT-2020).
- Stochastic Models in Population genetics. (tutor: MT-2020).
- Part A Probability (at St. Edmund's Hall) (tutor: MT-2020).
- Talk: Un contexto formal para comparar interfaces de comunicación, October, ENIM (Encuentro Nacional de Ingeniería Matemática), Universidad de Chile, 2017.
- Talk: On blocking phenomena of the Allen-Cahn equation using branching Brownian motion and curvature flow., November, Bielefeld Probability seminar, 2019.