Back to top

Complaints and Appeals

Complaints may be dealt with informally by students consulting their supervisor, or advisor, or the Director of Graduate Studies.

Whilst it is hoped that every effort will be made to resolve any problems through the above informal routes, students have the right to register formal complaints, which should be addressed to the Academic Administrator. Moreover students may take complaints and appeals direct to the Proctors’. In the latter case they should channel their communication through their College Advisor, rather than their supervisor.

Departmental complaints procedure [PDF]