University College, London: B.Sc. in Statistics, 1962-1965.
University of California, Berkeley: Ph.D. in Statistics, 1965-1969.
Research Assistant: J. Neyman, University of California, Berkeley,
Lecturer, University of Tel Aviv, 1969-1970.
Lecturer, University of Bristol, 1970-1975.
Visiting Research Statistician, University of California,
DAAD Research Fellow, Radiation and Environmental
Research Institute, Munich, 1975-1976.
Fellow and Tutor in Mathematics, Jesus College, Oxford, 1976-present.
University Lecturer in Mathematical Statistics, Oxford, 1976-1990
Reader in Mathematical Statistics, Oxford, 1990-present.
(1) Analysis of platelet survival curves, Platelet Kinetics, North
Holland Press (1971) 51-59.
(2) Nonthreshold models of the survival of bacteria after irradiation, Proceedings of the 6th Berkeley Symposium (1971) 4, 265-286.
(3) The Markov property of branching nerve fibres, Mathematical
Biosciences (1972) 13, 195-203 (with A.W. Sudbury).
(4) On the division of a sequence of random variables, Annals of Math.
Stat . (1972) 43, 238-241 (with A.W. Sudbury).
(5) The linear cell-size-dependent branching process, J. Appl. Prob .
(1972) 9, 687-696 (with A.W. Sudbury).
(6) Cell-size-dependent branching processes, Colloquia Mathematica
Societatis Janos Bolyai ,Budapest (1972) 153-156 (with A.W. Sudbury).
(7) Some results for general cell-size-dependent branching processes, J. Appl. Prob. (1973) 10, 289-298 (with A.W. Sudbury).
(8) Cardiac and respiratory rhythms in dogfish: Appendix, J. Exp. Biol.
(1972) 57, 433-434.
(9) Neurohypophysial hormone release, Biochem. J . (1973) 136
, 1053-1058 (with Burford, Jones and Pickering).
(10) A model for spatial conflict, Biometrika , (1973) 60, 581-
588 (with A.W. Sudbury).
(11) The compartment paradox, American Statistician (1974).
(12) Some results on the limiting behaviour of infinite particle systems,
Z. Wahrscheinlichkeitstheorie (1974) 30, 273-278 (with A.W.
(13) Physical models in statistical ecology, Proc. Intl. Seminar
on Collective Phenomena and the Appl. of Physics to other fields
of Science , Moscow, U.S.S.R. (1975), 304-306.
(14) Colustrum cells and leucocyte association in man, Experientia,
(1975) 31 , 985-986, (with J. Davies).
(15) Chromosome arm number and radiation-induced dicentric yield, Mutation Research (1976) 37 , 141-144.
(16) On the age structure of cell-size-dependent branching processes, Trans. 7th Prague Conf. on Inf. Theory and Statistics (1977) 97-101.
(17) Release of E.Coli DNA from membrane complexes by single strand
endonucleases, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sc . (1977) 74(7), 2756-2760
(18) The effect of arm-number on chromosome exchange distortion, J.
Theor. Biol. (1977) 64 , 723-728.
(19) Nonidentifiability in stochastic models of illness and death, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sc. (1977) 74(4) 1338-1340.
(20) Testing disease dependence in survival experiments with serial
sacrifice, J. Amer. Stat. Assoc. (1979) 74(365) 5-14 (with B.Berlin and
(21) On the use of bounds in the statistical analysis of spatial data, Biometrika (1979) 66, 495-503 (with A.W. Sudbury).
(22) On fitting the logistic curve by least squares, Appendix III, in
Origins and Destinations , Clarendon Press, Oxford (1980) 231-232.
(23) Path Analysis, Appendix IV, in Origins and Destinations ,
Clarendon Press, Oxford (1980) 233-235.
(24) The 75,000 hours that Rutter left out, Oxford Review of Education
(1980) 6(1) , 3-19 (with A.F. Heath).
(25) Setting bounds to nonidentifiability: Appendix to paper by J. Neyman,
in: Asymptotic Theory of Statistical Tests and Estimation (1980),
Academic Press (ed. I.M. Chakravarti).
(26) Some problems in modelling cellular growth, in The Mathematical
Theory of the Dynamics of Biological Populations , Academic Press, London,
(eds. R. Hiorns and D.Cooke) (1981), 307-315.
(27) On the determination of the age of a clone from characteristics of its
geographical distribution, J. Appl. Prob. (1981), 725-731 (with A.W.
(28) The measurement and explanation of school differences, Oxford
Review of Education (1981) 7, 33-40 (with A.F. Heath).
(29) A stochastic model based on pair distribution functions for reaction in
a radiation-induced spur containing one type of radical. J. Phys.
Chem. (1982) 86, 1318-1321 (with N.J.B. Green and M.J. Pilling).
(30) A Monte Carlo simulation of diffusion and reaction in radiation induced
spurs. Comparison with analytic models. J. Phys. Chem . (1982) 86, 1322-1327 (with N.J.B. Green and M.J. Pilling).
(31) Correlation coefficient patterns and their interpretation in three
basaltic suites. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology (1982) 79, 268-278 (with K.G. Cox).
(32) Some general remarks on nonidentifiability and the limits of
nonidentifiability in time dependent compartment models, in An Inter-
Disciplinary approach to the Problems of Carcinogenesis , North Holland Press
(eds. J. Neyman and L. Lecam) (1982).
(33) Small area variations in the use of common surgical procedures. The New England Journal of Medicine , (1982), 307, (21), 1310-1314
(with K. McPherson).
(34) An unexpected symmetry in the Debye-Smoluchowski equation, Chem.
Phys. Lett . (1982) 91, 101-103 (with N.J.B. Green and M.J. Pilling).
(35) Reply to Comment on 'An Unexpected Symmetry ...' by Hong and Noolandi,
Chem. Phys. Lett . (1983), 94, 441-442 (with N.J.B. Green and
(36) Stochastic and deterministic models of spur kinetics, J. Chem. Soc.
Faraday Trans. (1984) 80, 1313-1318 (with N.J.B. Green, M.J. Pilling
and W.G. Burns).
(37) Analysis of the Debye-Smoluchovski equation, J. Phys. Chem. (1984)
88, 4171-4175 (with N.J.B. Green and M.J. Pilling).
(38) Selection does make a difference, Oxford Review of Education,
10, 85-97 (with A.F. Heath).
(39) Distances in Gaussian Point sets, Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc.
(1985) 97, 515-524 (with N.J.B. Green).
(40) Looking backwards in time in the Moran model in population genetics, J. Appl. Prob. (1985) 22, 437-442 (with A.W. Sudbury).
(41) A sample path proof of the duality for stochastically monotone Markov
processes, Annals of Probab. (1985) 13, No 2 , 558-565 (with A.W.
(42) Stochastic models of scavenging in radiation induced spurs, J. Phys.
Chem. (1985) 89, 925-930 (with N.J.B. Green and M.J. Pilling).
(43) Testing the association between two spatial processes, Statistics
and Decisions (1985) Suppl. Issue No.2, 155-160 (with S. Richardson).
(44) On the simulation of the Smoluchovski boundary condition and the
interpolation of Brownian paths, Mol. Physics , (1986) 57, No.1 ,
123-128 (with N.J.B. Green).
(45) Stochastic models of multi-species kinetics in radiation induced spurs,
J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. , (1986) 82, 2673-2689 (with N.J.B.
Green, M.J. Oldfield, M.J. Pilling and S.M. Pimblott).
(46) The approximation of collisional energy relaxation by imbedding diffusion
processes, Chem. Phys. Lett. (1987) 135, 477-485 (with N.J.B.
Green, M. Bezant and M.J. Pilling).
(47) Stochastic models of diffusion controlled ionic reactions in radiation
induced spurs, 1. High permittivity solvents, J. Phys. Chem. (1987)
91, 4417-4422 (with N.J.B. Green, M.J. Pilling and S.M. Pimblott).
(48) Electron-Ion geminate escape probability in anisotropic media. Chem.
Phys. Letters (1987) 142, No. 5, 385-388 (with A. Mozumder, S.M.
Pimblott and N.J.B. Green).
(49) Hydrogen and hydrogen peroxide yields in the radiolysis of water: A
comparison of stochastic and deterministic kinetic models, Intl. J. Rad.
Phys. amd Chem. (1987) 30, 125-132 (with N.J.B. Green, M.J. Pilling,
S.M. Pimblott and W.G. Burns).
(50) Statistical models of chemical kinetics in liquids, J. Royal Stat.
Soc. Series B , (1987) 49, 266-300 (with N.J.B.Green and M.J. Pilling).
(51) Invasion processes and binary annihilation in one dimension, Phys.
Letters A (1988) 126, Nos. 8,9, 481-483 (with D. Balding and N.J.B.
(52) How to combine correlated estimates of a single physical quantity, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., (1989) A270, 110-117 (with L. Lyons
and D. Gibaut)
(53) Assessing the significance of the correlation between two spatial
processes, Biometrics (1989) 45, 123-134 (with S. Richardson and D. Hemon).
(54) Generalised sequential Monte-Carlo significance tests, Biometrika,
(1989) 76, 633-642 (with J.E. Besag).
(55) Reconstruction of polygonal images, J. Appl. Statist., (1989) 16, 3, 409-422 (with R.D. Middleton).
(56) Lifetime determination in the presence of cuts, Nucl. Instrum.
Methods Phys. Res (1989), A274, 557-559, (with L. Lyons)
(57) Approximate solution of the Debye-Smoluchovski equation for geminate ion
recombination in solvents of low permittivity, Molec. Phys., (1989) 67 1085-1090, (with N.J.B. Green and Pilling M.J.)
(58) Stochastic models of diffusion-controlled ionic reactions in
radiation-induced spurs. 2. Low permittivity solvents, J. Phys. Chem.
(1989) 93, 8025-8031, (with N.J.B. Green, M.J. Pilling, S.M. Pimblott).
(59) Stochastic modeling of fast kinetics in a radiation track, J. Phys.
Chem. (1990) 94, 251-258, (with N.J.B. Green, M.J. Pilling and S.M.
(60) Class inequalities in education in the twentieth century, J. Royal
Statist. Soc. Series A, (1990) 153, 1-17,(with A.F. Heath).
(61) Markov random fields in statistics. In: G.R. Grimmett and D.J.A. Welsh
(Eds) Disorder in Physical Systems, J.M. Hammersley Festschrift, (1990)
19-32 (Oxford University Press).
(62) Sequential Monte-Carlo p-values, Biometrika , (1991) 78, 19-32
(with J.E. Besag).
(63) Correlation effects in simple liquids, Molec. Physics (1991)
72, 363-373, (with R.A. Atkinson and N.J.B. Green).
(64) Stochastic modelling in physical chemistry. In: Spatial Statistics
and Digital Imaging Report (1991), National Research Council, U.S.A, (with N.J.B. Green).
(65) Testing association between spatial processes. In: A. Possolo (Ed) Spatial Statistics and Imaging (1991), Haywood, Institute of Mathematical
Statistics, (with S. Richardson).
(66) The political consequences of social mobility, J. Royal
Statist. Soc. Series A, (1993) 156, 51-62, (with A.F. Heath).
(67) Point based polygonal models for random graphs, Advances in
Applied Probab., (1993) 25, 348-372, (with T. Arak and D. Surgailis).
(68) The equivalence of the Cox process with squared radial Ornstein-Uhlenbeck intensity
and the death process in a simple population model, Ann. Appl. Probab. (1993),
3, 863-873, (with G. Wei).
(69) Diffusion kinetics in microscopic nonhomogeneous system. In: G.H.W. Weiss (Ed) Random Materials and Processes (1993), North Holland,
(with N.J.B. Green).
(70) Assessing the significance of the correlation between two spatial
processes: Response to reader reaction, Biometrics (1993) (with S. Richardson
and D. Hemon).
(71) False trails and faulty explanations. In: D. Denver, P. Norris,
D. Broughton and C. Rallings (Eds) British Elections and Parties Yearbook (1993),
116-128, Harvester Wheatsheaf, (with A.F. Heath, R. Jowell, and J. Curtice)
(72) The election campaign. In: A.F. Heath et al (Eds) Labours's Last Chance? (1994),
Aldershot: Dartmouth, (with A.F. Heath).
(73) Monte Carlo Methods. In: J.L. Stanford and S.B. Vardeman (Eds) Statistical
Methods for Physical Science (1994), 126-153.
(74) Bayesian inference for vector-based images. In: D.M. Titterington (Ed) Complex Stochastic
Systems and Engineering (1995) 121-139, O.U.P. (with G.K. Nicholls).
(75) The escape probability for integrated Brownian motion with non-zero drift,
J. Appl. Prob. (1995) 31, 921-929 (with R.A. Atkinson).
(76) Class inequalities and educational reform in twentieth century Britain. In: D.J. Lee and
B. Turner (Eds) Conflicts About Class (1996), 209-224, (with A.F. Heath).
(77) Logistic regression models for panel data with attrition, J. Royal Stat. Soc. Series
A , (1996) (with G. Fitzmaurice and A.F. Heath).
(78) Sampling strategies for Monte Carlo filters of non-linear systems with applications to
bearings only tracking, IEE conference proceedings: Target Tracking and Data Fusion
(1997), 123-127, (with J Carpenter and P Fearnhead).
(79) An improved particle filter for non-linear problems, IEE Proceedings on Radar, Sonar
and Navigation (1998) 146, 2-7 (with J. Carpenter and P. Fearnhead).
(80) Probability Representation of a Class of Two-Way Diffusions, J. Phys. A., (2002) 35, 5795-5805
(with N.J.B. Green, J.F. Feng, and G. Wei).
(81) On Cox Processes Driven by Interacting Diffusions and the Death Sequences of Immigration-Emigration
Linked Population Networks, J. Phys. A., (2002) 35, 9309-9331
(G. Wei and J.F. Feng).
(82) Analysis and Numerical Approximation of a Class of Two-Way Diffusions, Communications on Pure and
Applied Analysis, (2003) 2, No. 1, 91-99 (with G. Wei).
(83) On-line Inference for Hidden Markov Models via Particle Filters
J. Royal Stat. Soc. Series B), (2003) 65, 887-899 (with P. Fearnhead)
Gibbs states on arbitrary graphs and lattices, 26pp, University of
California, Berkeley (with J.M. Hammersley).
Building Robust Simulation-based Filters for Evolving Data Sets, (with J. Carpenter and P. Fearnhead).
A Metropolis sampler for the reconstruction of polygonal images, (with G.K. Nicholls).
Comparison of Birth and Death and Metropolis-Hastings
Markov Chain Monte Carlo for the Strauss Process, (with G.K. Nicholls).
Classification of a Markov Chain on Straight Edged Triangulations, (with G.K. Nicholls).
On the Tjøstheim representation for spatial series, for J.Appl.
Diffusion with strong drift, (with N.J.B. Green).
Exact likelihood methods for a class of diffusion-driven Cox processes, (with G. Wei).